fighting101s-thumb

Ramblings from the Aisch

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mittelfranken, Germany

I am a Christian Libertarian from the state of Maine, living in a self imposed exile in Germany, with my wife and kids.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Bad Quote?

“We have staked the future of all of our political institutions … upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves, according to the Ten Commandments of God.”
James Madison: 1778 to the General Assembly of the State of Virginia

Apparently, an Urban legend. I got wind yesterday after I posted that this citation was never made by James Madison. I'll only say at this point that there is no evidence I've been able to find to support it. This paragraph has been quoted throughout the internet, mostly on Christian and Conservative websites, but none have quoted anymore from this speech. The speech itself, I can find no transscript of. Most of those that claim it is not from James Madison say so because it is not in the Federal Papers, which is no argument, as the quote allegedly comes from an address on the assembly of the state of Virginia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home